Bodega Makeover, similar to Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Hotel Impossible and This Old House, is a docu-reality web series providing store improvements and healthy eating options for local neighborhoods.
With all the healthy eating craze, Urban farms and rooftop farming that are being built in every city, Bodegas are lagging behind, though they are the heart of the community. Here are the current issues:
When you live a mile or more in distance from a supermarket/bodega, and have limited access to fresh produce, meats, and healthy foods. Food deserts contribute to the U.S. obesity epidemic. About 23.5 million people live in food deserts. Nearly half of them are also low-income. Approximately 2.3 million people (2.2% of all US households) live in low-income, rural areas that are more than 10 miles from a supermarket.
A place where unhealthy foods are more readily available than healthy foods. This includes foods that are dense in calories, high in sodium, and high in sugar.
Some Bodegas are not equipped to display products properly which prevents movement of inventory.
The focus is to highlight the story of the bodega owners, local community residents, and organizations. Local community organizations and sponsors will assist with the bodega transformation. Physically transforming the bodega, while also providing the necessary training in areas such as economic development, marketing, and customer service, is the first step to successfully improving the community’s quality of life.
A refurbished bodega can:
- Attract more customers
- Increase community engagement
- Be better equipped to maintain fresh produce
- Serve as a brand advocate
- Create more jobs
Bodega Makeover: Mission
- Our main aims are to promote healthier options, and to tell the stories of Hispanic/Urban communities that have less access to healthy food, while simultaneously connecting families and communities.
- Bodega Makeover will travel where it is needed to ensure fresh and reliable food supplies are available.
- Each episode will dive deep into the personal life of a bodega owner. We will generate stories by connecting with non-profit organizations who are working on community development.
- Empowering business through community investment.